Earl Grey Dark Chocolate Scones
These scones are the chocolate chip cookie's sophisticated cousin! Serve them to your guests, and you'll thank us later. Scone recipe modified from this recipe by Madhuram's Eggless Cooking. Makes 8 scones.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup butter or vegan butter, cold
- 1/2 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup milk (dairy or non-dairy)
- 2 1/2 tbsp Cream Earl Grey Tea
- Powdered sugar, for dusting
- Bring the milk to a boil.
- Grind the tea leaves to a powder in a coffee or spice grinder. If some large pieces are left, this is okay, because we will strain the tea later. The finer the powder, the stronger the Earl Grey flavor!
- Combine the milk and tea powder and let set for 5-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine the dry ingredients.
- Cut the butter into the dry ingredients one small piece at a time and mix using a beater or stand mixer.
- Strain the milk and tea mixture into the dough and combine, then add the chocolate chips and combine.
- Pat the dough into a circle about 1 inch thick on a baking sheet, then cut into 8 pieces.
- Bake at 400° F for about 20 minutes.
- After the scones have cooled, dust with powdered sugar and serve.