Double Butterscotch Chai Scones
Warm chai spices perfectly compliment the butterscotch flavor in the tea, and the butterscotch chips add an extra sweetness! Scone recipe modified from this recipe by Madhuram's Eggless Cooking. Makes 8 scones.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup butter or vegan butter, cold
- 1/2 cup butterscotch chips
- 3/4 cup milk (dairy or non-dairy)
- 2 1/2 tbsp Butterscotch Chai
- Powdered sugar, for dusting
- Bring the milk to a boil.
- Grind the tea leaves to a powder in a coffee or spice grinder. If some large pieces are left, this is okay, because we will strain the tea later. The finer the powder, the stronger the tea flavor!
- Combine the milk and tea powder and let set for 5-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine the dry ingredients.
- Cut the butter into the dry ingredients one small piece at a time and mix using a beater or stand mixer.
- Strain the milk and tea mixture into the dough and combine, then add the walnuts and combine.
- Pat the dough into a circle about 1 inch thick on a baking sheet, then cut into 8 pieces.
- Bake at 400° F for about 20 minutes.
- After the scones have cooled, dust with powdered sugar and serve.